Saturday, September 1, 2018

A Grueling Day

Photos.

The idea of a road trip is always so exciting to me. A comfortable vehicle; good company; interesting people; lots of time on the open road. However, after a couple of days, I run out of stamina. Yesterday was that day.

After a poor night of tossing, turning and getting up to go to the bathroom, I felt tired and had trouble remembering the day of the day and where I was. I felt quite a bit better after another good breakfast and a couple of cups of coffee. Out we went. My traveling companion was his usual cheerful self and his good mood energized me. A little.

Sulphur Cauldron
It was a  chilly, grey morning, 33F. We were two of the few tourists in shorts -- lunatics from Minnesota. Most were bundled up, some for a frigid day: winter jackets, warm hats, gloves. What? In August? We did feel the chill a little at our first stops, but mostly I felt the pungent odor of hydrogen sulfide fill my sinuses. Sulphur Cauldron was impressive, but mostly because of the smell. I kept my comments to myself.

On past a couple of gawker slowdowns, including stops for two non-existent grizzly bears. "Just went into the woods, I think", said one observer. Smart bear. "Who needs this crap", said the bear. Missed a photo or two of bison walking along the road. The only birds I saw were huge crows and some ducks in Yellowstone Lake, but I did hear some bird noises. Wouldn't call it "singing", but definitely came from birds.

Bison in the cool grasses
Finally, a thrill. We saw a herd of bison in the grasslands, or maybe they were grassy wetlands. The little parking lot above the grasslands was full but my miracle driver found a spot. I have seen bison before, but never so many grazing so closely, but far from the crowd. Lots of babies. A wonderful, peaceful space.

I really had to go to the bathroom and I'm afraid I have to be really desperate to use an outhouse, so I waited until we got to a "good" rest stop and visitor center. Which one? No idea, but the restroom was great. Nice picture windows too. A better day already.

Grand Tetons
We were getting a little hungry by then, but we were too late for the park restaurant near us. We drove south and moved seamlessly into Grand Tetons National Park. We saw a grocery/convenience store and bought a delicious turkey and smoked turkey and cheese artisan sandwich. Bag of Fritos (bad but delicious).

We had a picnic lunch at what I think was the Coulter Bay Marina. Old picnic table; the best view. That sandwich and the last of the celery from home were great. Time for the last leg to Dubois, Wyoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment