Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Labor Day in the Black Hills

Photos.

We hadn't planned much for Monday but the day was sunny and very warm -- what I think of as typical Labor Day weather.


 First stop: Crazy Horse Memorial. My first visit three years ago was magical; this was not. The location is wonderful and the art and exhibits are well curated. At the beginning of our visit,

 I got separated from Bob and we both walked around the large property looking for each other. Our cell phones did not work and we had not arranged for a time and place to meet in case of separation. By the time he saw me, I was hot and flustered. Crying jag/meltdown. Bob bought me a beautiful pair or earrings from Margie,Laughlin, one of the vendor artists from Page, Arizona. And yes, I did feel better almost right away.

Next, the Needles Highway and Custer State Park. The ride is winding, up and down the mountain, with spectacular needle-like rock formations and breathtaking views. On many summer days, it's impossible to park anywhere, but not yesterday. This is really a "biker's ride", but there were lots of other vehicles too. My favorite views were through tunnels in the rock, which can accommodate only one vehicle at a time. While warnings about dangerous wildlife make you feel excited about seeing herds of bison, we saw nothing, even in the distance.

After a late lunch in Keystone (a deliciously sinful cheeseburger and rootbeer float at the DQ), we hit Mount Rushmore. I love the walking under the state flags, mounted on pillars displaying the date of statehood. 1858 for Minnesota.

We were a little weary of sightseeing. Time to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment